April 26, 2016

Giving those in need their daily bread

Over the last couple of days I have gained a lot of insight into the values and virtues of diaconal work with underprivileged populations. I felt welcomed, through discussions, to share the views, actions, and attitudes of christian diacony, through love and compassion for your next of kin, and utilizing them to perform altruistic actions without having a personal religious belief.

Many institutions we toured, learned of, and were lectured about, do not set demands for the clients, lowering the threshold for receiving necessary care. Now I can see how the diaconal institutions do not set demands for my religious beliefs, and lowers the threshold for me to give that necessary care.
Many in underprivileged situations are not far from functioning properly in a societal setting, needing help in a few, but important, key areas. In Norwegian nursing practice, caring for a client or patient only in those key areas, letting them cover their other needs where possible, is essential to maintain autonomy and self-worth. If your care for those in need springs from the "love of thy neighbour", helping them literally to get their "daily bread", is it important from where that love springs?

Who am I?

My name is Aksel Estensen, I'm a 22 year old Norwegian nursing student attending VID Specialized University campus Diakonhjemmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment